Now a days, search engine optimization is going vast. We all are trying to grow our business and ranking our website on 1st page. But most of us don’t know about SEO. Now I am going to share my experience about search engine optimization. SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. It is a technique to rank your website on 1st of Search Engine Result Page. Let’s start with Search.
What is Search
Search is an activity to seeking and finding relevant and useful information as per your query. Search is most popular online activity.
What is Search Engine
Search Engine is a web tool that allows user to locate information on world wide web. It is an automatic software program. Search engine’s mission is to organize world wide info and make is universally accessible and useful. There are lots of search engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo, Yandex, duckduckgo and more. But Google is the most popular search engine worldwide. Search engines uses automated software applications (referred to as robots, bots, or spiders) that travel along the Web, following links from page to page, site to site. The information gathered by the spiders is used to create a searchable index of the Web.
Search engine story is too historical. In starting SE was not so much accurate and efficient. But as the technology improves, there are lots of changes in SE to enhance your search results.
- Web Crawler and Lycos – The very first search engine to crawl and index web pages was Web crawler and Lycos. WebCrawler is a registered trademark of InfoSpace, Inc. It went live on April 20, 1994 and was created by Brian Pinkerton at the University of Washington. Lycos was also established in 1994. Lycos also encompasses a network of email, web hosting, social networking, and entertainment websites.
- Ask Jeeves – The Ask Jeeves web search engine was founded in 1996. It was focused on answering and e-business. It was the very first natural language search engine.
- Yahoo – It was launched in March 2, 1995. Yahoo search helps you to find exactly what you are seeking for. In 2015 it was the 3rd most popular search engine in US.
- Ask – It was re-branded by Ask jeeves.
- Search Me – It was a visual search engine that offered snapshot of web pages. It was founded in California.
- Inktomi – Inktomi introduced hotbot pioneers and paid inclusion. In 2002, it was acquired by Yahoo.
- Google – It is a web search engine powered by Google. It was launched in Feb 1997.
- MSN Live – It was launched by Microsoft in 1998. It consist of a search engine, crawling, and indexing in early 1999.
- Mahalo – It was a web directory or human search engine launched in May 2007. It was also internet based knowledge exchanged.
- Aurora – Mozilla’s Aurora offered 3D web search experience.
Most of the people thinks that Google is internet. But no, Google is Just a company, which has its products like search engine, G Drive, Gmail and more. Google Always displays results not information. Any search engine never displays LIVE results.
How Search Engine Works
As we discussed search engines are automated programs. Every search engine works in 4 modules:
- Crawl the web pages first
- Pickup the information
- Stored information in servers called indexing
- Display the results in SERP as per relevancy
Crawling is when all begins. It is scanning of a web page and get entire info on that page like title, description, url, image, content and more. Crawlers collect all this info. Crawlers are the automated programs called as a bot or spider. It is a never-ending process. Spiders starts by fetching few web pages and follow links on these pages and pick pages they point to and again follow the same process again and again. By this technique search engine gets billions of pages stored in their machines.
Indexing is the process of taking all of that data you have from a crawl, and placing it in a big database. Bots stores all info they found on a place called servers or data centers.
Ranking & Retrieval
Whenever you enter a query in search engine it displays you relevant results as per your query. It is one of the most complicated step to find accurate results from data centers.
It is a snapshot of a web page stored in Google’s database.
Search Engine Optimization
It is a process to rank your website on 1st page of search engine result page. In this process we improve website ranking via different technique. While performing search engine optimization activities always make your website user friendly. If your website is not user friendly then it can have a bad impact.
Why Top Ranking is Important
The results display on 1st page of search engine result page are known as most relevant results as per search engine and users as well. These results can be paid or non-paid. There is 87% probability to get a chance of click by user. It is not sufficient to get top rankings. We will get traffic only when user/visitor choose us among all the results.
Search Engine Result Page
The Search Engine Result Page (SERP) is a page where search engine respond to a query of a user. It is a listing of result returned by search engine.
Search engine result page is divided in to two categories
- Paid Results
- Non Paid Results
Paid results are basically advertisement.The website owners paid to rank their website on SERP for specific keywords. There are two sub categories for paid results
- Text Results
- Sponsored Results
Non Paid Results
A list of web pages returned by search engine as per users query. The SE optimizer always try rank website on 1st page of search engine result page in Non Paid Results. Non Paid results can be segmented in to 6 more subcategories
- Local Places Results
- Organic Results
- Image Results
- News Results
- Knowledge Graph Results
- Video Results
In and up to 2005 only organic results were displayed in Google’s SERP. But in 2010 paid results were included in SERP. The technology and algorithms updated and local places, knowledge graph, video and more results were started to display in search engine result page.
Steps to Organic Search Excellence
To rank a web page on 1st page of SERP, it should be optimized perfectly. There are certain rules. By following these rules you can rank your website better on search engine result page and get good CTR.
- Search Engine Friendly Website
- Content is optimized with keywords
- Building Authority via Links
- Be Social